Just a Kid At Heart

The Furnace

|


I was a little unsure, but I was ready to try and start a daily blog; that was almost two weeks ago.

Life seemed to come at me pretty hard the past few weeks, and I really wasn't sure why.
I had started studying the lives of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. You would think by now that I would have realized what was happening. You see, I have come to understand one undeniable truth in my efforts to become a writer these past few years. It is something that God has revealed to me, slowly and patiently.

If I am willing to write it, I must also be willing to live it.

I finished my last blog with a question, Where was Daniel as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego faced the Fiery Furnace?

I did my homework, and I read a lot of possible theories. Men with much greater knowledge and understanding than I have asked this same question. There are many plausible ideas, but in the end there is one undeniable, common consensus; we do not know where Daniel was, the Bible simply does not tell us.
But my lesson was not over. Many times we must first define the question, before we are ready to receive the answer. I had asked a question that I did not fully understand, I needed time to learn; and as with many of the things of God, to learn them is to live them.

From the time of their captivity Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had proven that they were willing to stand with Daniel in their stand for God. Now, whatever the reason, it is pretty clear that God chose Daniel to stand out in this group. It was Daniel that received the interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's dream, and he would be the one to be elevated to the highest position; but God did not leave Daniel to stand alone. Daniel was able to see that his friends were appointed to positions of authority, they would remain close. But choosing to stand with a friend, does not mean that you will stand next to them in every trial. As I have prayed and asked for wisdom concerning my question of where was Daniel, I heard the Lord put this statement in my spirit.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had proved that they were "willing" to stand with Daniel,
The Furnace proved that they "could" stand by him.

Daniel was a gifted leader and a devoted man of God. He would serve four kings, and he remained in the royal court through each ones reign. He had been established by God in his position, and now God would establish Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego as well.
King Nebuchadnezzar already held Daniel in the highest regard.

 Daniel 2:
 46 Then King Nebuchadnezzar fell prostrate before Daniel and paid him honor and ordered that an offering and incense be presented to him.
47 The king said to Daniel, “Surely your God is the God of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, for you were able to reveal this mystery.”
48 Then the king placed Daniel in a high position and lavished many gifts on him. He made him ruler over the entire province of Babylon and placed him in charge of all its wise men.
49 Moreover, at Daniel’s request the king appointed Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego administrators over the province of Babylon, while Daniel himself remained at the royal court.

It's possible that he may not have required Daniel to bow to the image, but he would not have recognized these three young men in the same way, even if they did claim to serve Daniel's God. There would have been other Israeli refugees in the kingdom at that time, but it seems that only these three had the courage and conviction not to bow.
I believe that Daniel was there the entire time watching this event play out. His place may have been in the royal court, but it was not his place to intervene on this day. I believe that Daniel had to stand there and pray for his friends, believing that God would do what was best; just as his three friends believed as well. No one knew what the outcome would be, they only knew what was right and what they must do.

Daniel 3:
16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.
17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand.
18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” 
 
Sometimes we just don't know how things will work out, we have to leave that part up to God. But we can be willing to live up to our part. Most of the time there is only one Daniel appointed by God. But in my time contemplating this story, I believe that every Israeli captive had the opportunity to stand with Daniel. Only three were willing to accept that position, to have Daniel's back when it mattered; and the furnace proved their worth. 
One day Daniel would stand alone and face the lion's den, but I am convinced that he was not the only one that would spend that night in prayer. 
There are those that we will choose to stand with, but we must also allow God to determine who is proven to be able to stand. It can be an uncertain process, but it is often God's way of proving us.
 
 
 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Post Signature

Post Signature